2012 Membership Picnic on Myrtle Drive
Our 2012 Membership Picnic on the 200 Block of Myrtle Drive, in the Glenwood National Historic District, attracted over 200 Members and their guests. Attendees enjoyed touring six homes built between 1926 and 1945. The Glenwood District was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 2009 and is the only historic district in Thomas County that was developed entirely within the twentieth century.
The Landmarks Annual Membership Picnic took on a new format last year, with a neighborhood block party on Warren Avenue. This year the group moved to Thomasville’s first planned garden suburb and its newest historic district. The homes represented several styles, including Tudor Revival, English Vernacular Revival, Minimal Traditional and Spanish Revival. Two were designed by Architect S. Ralph Fetner, a relative of the Fred Scott family. Another, the “Joe A. Beutell House,” was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1991 and designed by Architect Russell L. Beutell. The owners of each house graciously permitted guests to freely enjoy the architectural details, craftsmanship and materials of the era.
Residents and visitors to the area can glean a great deal of information about Thomasville’s development and relative prosperity during trying times in our country’s history. For example, each of the six homes on tour were built just before The Great Depression or World War II. They are all occupied by only the third or fourth generation of owners, which says something about the people who choose Glenwood as their home. And each house has undergone minimal significant changes over its lifetime, evidence of a strong architectural design, good building materials and TLC. According to Brent Runyon, Executive Director of Landmarks, “the neighborhood is one of the most beautiful in Thomasville when you take into account the design of both the buildings, the rose-planted triangles and the curving streets. It’s one of a kind.”
Landmarks also used the event to raise funds for a bronze historic district marker. Local individuals and businesses donated items for a raffle, which raised over $1400. The cost of the historic marker is being shared by Landmarks and The Thomasville Town Committee, National Society Of Colonial Dames of America in the State of Georgia, with installation provided by the City of Thomasville. Landmarks intends to erect a marker for each of Thomas County’s twelve historic districts over the next few years. Donations toward markers can be made by contacting Landmarks at 229-226-6016 or email@example.com.
The event was made possible by our many homeowners, volunteers and sponsors.
Click on the photos below to see them in full. For high-res versions, contact our office.