Glenwood Historic District – Pictures and History
- Tue, February 26, 2013, 7:00
- Annual Picnic, Community Preservation, Events, News, Resources
- Add a comment
The Glenwood Historic District, bounded approximately by Clay Street on the north, Glenwood Drive on the west, East Jackson Street on the south, and Euclid Drive on the east, in Thomasville, Thomas County, Georgia, was listed in the National Register of Historic Places on October 14, 2010. The Glenwood Historic District was listed at the local level of significance for its importance to the city of Thomasville as one of its first modern suburbs. Landmarks sponsored the nomination and a consultant prepared the nomination materials.
On February 12, 2013, “Georgia Day,” a rain-soaked group of history buffs braved the elements to witness the unveiling of the Glenwood Historic District marker. The marker resulted from a partnership between Landmarks, the City of Thomasville and the Thomasville Town Committee of the National Society of Colonial Dames in the State of Georgia. It is the first in what we hope will be a series of markers erected to tell the story of each of Thomas County’s twelve historic districts.
The marker includes text on one side and a map of the district on the other. The text reads: “The establishment of the Glenwood subdivision occurred 100 years after Thomas County was created. It was initially developed in 1925 as one of Thomasville’s first modern garden suburbs and was designed by Atlanta landscape architect I.O. Freeman, who promoted a ‘system of winding driveways and dignified home sites’ with native vegetation and natural beauty still apparent today. Most housing dates to after 1939, due to effects of the Great Depression, and includes good examples of the English Vernacular Revival, Mediterranean Revival and Colonial Revival styles, as well as mid-20th century housing types such as the American Small House and Ranch House. It was initially developed for upper-middle-class white families who built houses here because of the proximity to Eastside and MacIntyre Park schools, Thomasville’s first public schools. The Glenwood Historic District was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 2010 and includes both the Glenwood and Belmont subdivisions.