Last Call for Book Underwriters!

 

book cover 314x311 Last Call for Book Underwriters!Landmarks and The Thomas County Historical Society invite you to demonstrate your commitment to preserving and promoting Thomas County’s heritage as an underwriter of this stunning book celebrating the architecture of our area!

 

As an underwriter, you will receive:
  • Prominent recognition as an underwriter on one of the first pages of the book
  • Special edition volume(s) with slipcover, signed by the author and photographers
  • Recognition and invitation to a celebratory book signing party

Deadline for underwriter recognition is Friday June 13, 2014


pixel Last Call for Book Underwriters!

Thank you to our generous underwriters for their support of this project!

John Wind Level
Mrs. Diane W. Parker

John A. Wood Level
Flowers Foods, Inc.
The W.H. Flowers Foundation

Abram Garfield Level
Gilbert P. Shafer, III
MNW Fund of The Williams Family Foundation of Georgia
The Parker Poe Charitable Trust

Tudor Rommerdall Level
Margaret P. and Langdon S. Flowers Fund
Dr. and Mrs. Douglas C. McPherson
Mr. and Mrs. Scott Rich
Gordon E. Speed and Douglas W. Speed
Thomasville National Bank

Milton Grigg Level
Commercial Bank
Marilynn and Randy Rhea
Kimberly Sponaugle, South Eden Plantation
Mr. and Mrs. Thomas C. Weller, Jr.
CNS and City of Thomasville

Delano & Aldrich Level
Archbold Medical Center
Bryant Beadles, Balfour Lumber Company
Mr. and Mrs. Mark A. Cobb
Mrs. Robert P. Crozer
Sharon Maxwell Ferguson and Howell Ferguson
Andrea and Chip Hancock
Melissa and Vic McMillan
Bill Raiford
Mr. and Mrs. Sam Scovil, III
Mrs. John F. Watkins
Mr. and Mrs. John F. Wood

Hubbell & Benes Level
Mr. and Mrs. Joe E. Beverly
Mr. and Mrs. A. Neil Crawford, Jr.
Mr. and Mrs. Robert Page Crozer, Jr.
Mr. William Flowers Crozer
Downtown Thomasville, Inc.
Pebble Hill Foundation
Robert R. Jinright, Jr.
Lorilee Medders
Mr. and Mrs. Michael O. Olsen
Laura and Mike Shea
Mary Kathryn Sibley
Laurie and Tom Simmons
Stanley F. Smith
Rep. Darlene K. Taylor and Family
Claire and J.K. Thomas

Edward G. Reed Level
Rachel and Frank Beverly
Charnie and Max Beverly
Jane “Sugar” Blount
Dr. and Mrs. William Z. Bridges
Margaret and Trip Brock
Theresa and Joe Brown
Chubb Associates, Ltd. Realtors
Margaret and Oscar Cook
Marthalene Davis
Mr. and Mrs. Jay Flowers
Kathleen Vignos Folsom
Mrs. Louise Mitchell Golden
Susan B. Haberkorn
Dr. and Mrs. Ed Hall
Mr. and Mrs. G. Thomas Harrison
Dr. and Mrs. Charles E. Hancock
Michael N. Herndon
Dr. and Mrs. W. Merrill Hicks, Jr.
Mr. and Mrs. Jacob K. Higgs
Judy and Bill Hoskin
Mr. and Mrs. C. Bradford Jackson
Mr. and Mrs. Frederick D. Jefferson
Mr. and Mrs. Robert S. Jinright, Sr.
Ms. Randy Jones in honor of Peggy and Scott Rich
Melinda and Edward Katz
Mary Lawrence and Ashley Lang
Mary Lawrence and Ashley Lang in honor of Lee Alexander Webb
Mr. and Mrs. Roy M. Lilly, Jr.
Celia and Allen Lockerman
Kha Thomas McDonald
Ann Gravely McKinnon
Connie Middleton
Mrs. F. Richard Miller
Janell and Mickey Miller
Penny and Cary Newman
Office of Main Street and Tourism
Mr. and Mrs. Michael O. Olsen
Olson Architects, Inc.
Jinanne B. and Robert H. Parrish
Mieke and Scott Rich, Jr.
Joan and Tim Rounds
Mr. and Mrs. F. Adam Rowland
Mr. Brent Runyon
Sandi Shaw & Mark Anderson
Dr. and Mrs. Felix Sibley, Jr.
Mrs. Terrell Singletary
Dr. Terry Smith
Michael J. Stephenson
Mr. and Mrs. S. Brent Taylor
Mr. and Mrs. J.T. Turner, Jr.
Mr. and Mrs. Richard S. Vann
Drs. Brandi and Jesse Warren
Mr. and Mrs. Charles H. Watt, III
Mr. and Mrs. Wylie Watt, Jr.
Charlie Howard Whitney
Mrs. Sabrina Williams
Mrs. Frank E. Williams
Dr. and Mrs. Darryl Lee Webb
Lee Alexander Webb in honor of Haile and Ben McCollum

2013 Teacher Workshop

2012 Preservation Honor Awards

On Thursday, May 9, 2013, Landmarks presented Preservation Honor Awards to each of the property owners listed below. Each year, Landmarks recognizes significant contributions to the preservation and enhancement of historic resources in the Thomas County area. This year, four communities were represented.

The awards are open to projects completed within the last three years. Nominations were reviewed by Landmarks' Awards Committee. To nominate a project, click here.

Special Thanks to Abby Mims for her amazing photography!

 

 

 

 

 

Click this map to find each of the 2012 Preservation Honor Award winners. Be sure to zoom out to find those outside Thomasville.


View 2012 Preservation Honor Award Winners in a larger map

The R.G. and Mary Fleetwood House, ca. 1951

IMG 0634 150x150 The R.G. and Mary Fleetwood House, ca. 1951The R.G and Mary Fleetwood House was awarded a Historic House Marker in March 2013, upon the request of Mrs. Peggy L. Barhite and Mr. Gwynn T. Earp.

R.G. Fleetwood was a long time employee of Flowers Baking Company. In 1947, he and Mary were living at 518 E Washington Street and he was the assistant secretary-treasurer of Flowers Baking Company.

The Edgewood neighborhood had its earliest development in the 1940s. W.A. Britton sold Lots 10 and 11 to Mary Fleetwood in June 1947. The house was designed by local architect Roderick Brantley and its style was described by author William R. Mitchell, Jr. in Landmarks' 1980 book as Suburban Version of Thomas County Classicism. The house combines the contemporary Ranch type room arrangement with classical proportions and details. Mrs. Barhite and Mr. Earp purchased the house in 2000.

IMG 0630 235x314 The R.G. and Mary Fleetwood House, ca. 1951

The Harbour-Wolfson House, ca. 1939

02 myrtle dr 2 150x150 The Harbour Wolfson House, ca. 1939The Harbour-Wolfson House was awarded a Historic House Marker in March 2013, on the request of Mr. and Mrs. Jacob K. Higgs. Below is a brief history of the property and its owners.

The Glenwood neighborhood represents Thomasville’s first modern residential subdivision. It was originally developed in 1925 by J. B. Jemison, a local developer and realtor.  The sweeping drives and curved residential lots platted at this time marked Glenwood as Thomasville’s first garden suburb.  Some area homes, particularly on Myrtle Drive and Delwood Place, reflect this early, pre-Depression era development period with revival styles.  These include Colonial Revival, Tudor Revival, Neoclassical Revival, Spanish Eclectic, and English Vernacular Revival.  Early homes include 221 Myrtle Drive, The 1923 W. Fred Scott house, 223 Myrtle Drive; The 1926 Dr. & Mrs. William Berry Cochran house; 103 Delwood Place, The 1926 E. F. Whal house; and 108 Delwood Place, The 1927 M. T. Nunnally house.  The Cochran house was designed in the Spanish Eclectic style by recognized Jacksonville architect Ralph S. Fetner.  101 Montrose Drive was built by 1930 by Joe M. Beutell, a local contractor of significance.  The Tudor Revival home was designed by recognized architect, Russell L. Beutell, a principal in the firm of Daniell and Beutell of Atlanta.

Probably due to the Depression and Jemison’s subsequent financial loss, most of Glenwood was developed from 1935 – 1955.  Benjamin Lester Brewton and Howard L. Brewton of B. L. Brewton & Son of the Brewton-Tittle Realty Company purchased Glenwood lots at auction in 1936 and began to heavily promote the area.  The English Cottage house type, American Small House type, and Minimal Traditional designs of Glenwood reflect a major growth period starting before WWII.  Howard Brewton built his home in Glenwood in 1931 at 214 Glenwood Drive.  B.L. Brewton built the house next door at 212 Glenwood Drive in 1936.  The firm constructed many homes in the subdivision including the W. Fred Scott, Sr. houses at 200 Myrtle Drive and 221 Myrtle Drive, the J. L. Roberts house at 209 Myrtle Drive, and the Colonial Revival V. D. Wheet house at 213 Myrtle Drive.  The firm also constructed the home of Lloyd Megahee located at 908 E. Washington Street.  The stately Neoclassical Revival home of Fred Scott, Sr. at 200 Myrtle was designed by recognized architect Ralph S. Fetner and built by the firm as well.

According to church records, Rev. C. Harbour Byrd (1892-1972) was the Presiding Elder of the Methodist Conference of Georgia in November 1937 and 1938, and located in Thomasville. Immediately prior to this, he was minister to Dublin First UMC. The records do not indicate actual dates of service, only specific notations in November of each year. The Presiding Elder is the same position as the District Superintendent, according to the current Superintendent’s office.

On November 30, 1938, Rev. Harbour purchased Lot 17 and part of Lot 16 of the original Glenwood Plat from Brewton & Sons. According to the 1939 Conference Journal of the UMC, on page 47, C. Byrd Harbour was transferred to the Memphis Conference.

We can speculate that the home was built ca. 1939 by Harbour, although whether he lived there cannot be substantiated at this time. It is likely that he rented the house with a plan of returning to Thomasville or was unable to sell it because of World War II. Years later, on July 26, 1958, the retired Rev. Harbour and his wife, now residents of Lakeland, Florida, were witnesses to the historic sinking of the Andrea Doria. The boat on which they sailed, the Ile de France, rescued 758 passengers from the Doria.

On June 11, 1943, Harbour granted Bernard J. Wolfson a Rental Agreement with a Purchase Option for 2 years. Within one year, Mr. Wolfson executed his option and purchased the house from Harbour. This was on May 29, 1944. He and his wife, Etta, lived in the house for many years. Mrs. Wolfson was the longtime owner of The Monash Shop, a prominent ladies boutique in downtown Thomasville.

On July 14, 1944, H.M. Mathews, owner of 222 Myrtle and a neighbor, sold the Southeast ½ of his lot (Lot 18), which was sized 30×175, to the Wolfsons. The lot was finally in the size and shape in which it exists today.

Mr. Wolfson passed away in 1949, having lived in the house only about six years. Mrs. Wolfson, however, lived there until her death in 1976. The house was then sold to Mr. Theodore E. Day in 1977.

In 1979, Larry and Priscilla May bought the house and lived there for many years until they sold the house in 1990. Mr. May was an executive at Davis Industries.

The next two owners were Barbara Austin and Jane Lewis.

Mr. and Mrs. Jacob K. Higgs purchased the house in 2010 and undertook a complete renovation, using the services of Mr. C.H. Whitney, a restoration consultant. They received a 2012 Award of Merit from Landmarks in consideration of their rehabilitation efforts.

This house may be described as being built in the English Tudor Cottage style.

Landmarks’ Revolving Fund Properties


View Revolving Fund for Historic Properties in a larger map

Summer Program for Teachers

1950West 150x150 Summer Program for TeachersWe are now accepting applications for our 2013 Heritage Education Summer Workshop for Educators.

2013 Workshop Registration

2013 Workshop Schedule

By popular request, as space allows,  current 2013 Landmarks Members are also invited to participate in this program.  Experience local historic attractions, guest speakers and interesting workshops on architecture, genealogy, environmental stewardship and more.  You may come for a day or the whole week.  Day rate is $15 per Member or $50 per Member for the week (as always, there is no charge for teachers).  Cost includes entry fees and materials.  Members can email us for more details or to be put on the waiting list.

 

 

Glenwood Historic District – Pictures and History

GlenwoodMarker 150x150 Glenwood Historic District   Pictures and HistoryThe Glenwood Historic District, bounded approximately by Clay Street on the north, Glenwood Drive on the west, East Jackson Street on the south, and Euclid Drive on the east, in Thomasville, Thomas County, Georgia, was listed in the National Register of Historic Places on October 14, 2010. The Glenwood Historic District was listed at the local level of significance for its importance to the city of Thomasville as one of its first modern suburbs. Landmarks sponsored the nomination and a consultant prepared the nomination materials.

Read more and view pictures here.

News about the National Register Listing

 

On February 12, 2013, “Georgia Day,” a rain-soaked group of history buffs braved the elements to witness the unveiling of the Glenwood Historic District marker. The marker resulted from a partnership between Landmarks, the City of Thomasville and the Thomasville Town Committee of the National Society of Colonial Dames in the State of Georgia. It is the first in what we hope will be a series of markers erected to tell the story of each of Thomas County’s twelve historic districts.

The marker includes text on one side and a map of the district on the other. The text reads: “The establishment of the Glenwood subdivision occurred 100 years after Thomas County was created. It was initially developed in 1925 as one of Thomasville’s first modern garden suburbs and was designed by Atlanta landscape architect I.O. Freeman, who promoted a ‘system of winding driveways and dignified home sites’ with native vegetation and natural beauty still apparent today. Most housing dates to after 1939, due to effects of the Great Depression, and includes good examples of the English Vernacular Revival, Mediterranean Revival and Colonial Revival styles, as well as mid-20th century housing types such as the American Small House and Ranch House. It was initially developed for upper-middle-class white families who built houses here because of the proximity to Eastside and MacIntyre Park schools, Thomasville’s first public schools. The Glenwood Historic District was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 2010 and includes both the Glenwood and Belmont subdivisions.

 

 

310 Magnolia Street Preserved in Perpetuity

As attested to by this Times-Enterprise story, Landmarks uses many tools to preserve significant historic Magnolia 310 Facade1 150x150 310 Magnolia Street Preserved in Perpetuityproperties.

 

 

 

 

 

 

Community Partners for Neighborhood Revitalization

When Barry Pollock, Vice President, Thomas County Federal Savings & Loan, contacted Landmarks about a historic home that was recently surrendered by its owner, Executive Director Brent Runyon wasn’t sure it was a good project for Landmarks at the moment. Landmarks is heavily involved in Neighborhood Revitalization efforts and now owns four houses in the Victoria Place Redevelopment Area, one in Tockwotton and two in the Warren Avenue neighborhood.  Taking on another house outside these targeted areas was not going to be an easy thing to do anytime soon.

What makes Landmarks an effective community partner, though, is that it recognizes when good historic properties can be saved and tailors its approach to each one. The Richard Williams, Sr. House at 310 Magnolia Street is historically important both for its architecture and for its association with African-American history. According to Jack Hadley’s tour guide, Mr. Williams, one of the First Three Black Letter Carriers in Thomasville, built this home prior to 1910. His daughter, Mrs. Mildred Williams Newton, was a well-known and highly-regarded educator. It was said that she kept such a clean house that you “could eat off  her floors.” Both she and her father were graduates of the Allen Normal & Industrial School that operated from 1886-1933 in Thomasville. Clearly, it could be considered a landmark house.

With such an historically-important house, it was important for Landmarks to be involved. Mr. Runyon contacted a few people he knew who were interested in fixer-uppers and who would be willing to work with Landmarks on a historically-appropriate rehabilitation. Fortunately, Mr. Pollock was willing to give him time to find a buyer.

Within a few weeks, Thomas County Federal donated the house to Landmarks, which immediately sold it to a new preservation-minded buyer, along with a list of preservation easements. Landmarks took a small fee for the property, which will allow it to monitor the exterior of the house just as it does more than forty other properties the organization has previously owned.

Another community partner in this process was D.A.S.H., an affordable housing non-profit whose board of directors includes a diverse group of concerned citizens. They helped evaluate the house and guide its initial cleaning by community workers from the GA Department of Corrections Probation Office.

Preserving Thomasville’s historic architecture and revitalizing its neighborhoods is an effort that can only be accomplished with a network of community-minded people and institutions. Donations toward Neighborhood Revitalization can be made by contacting Landmarks at 229-226-6016 or by email.  Landmarks lists its properties for sale at on its Real Estate page.

 © 2014 Copyright Thomasville Landmarks. All rights reserved.
  312 North Broad Street  Thomasville, Georgia  31792   •   Telephone: 229-226-6016
  Web site development and hosting provided by SiteDoodle, LLC.